- Elephants can swim as many as 20 miles a day — they use their trunks as natural snorkels!
- The bikini swimsuit was named after a U.S. nuclear testing site in the South Pacific called Bikini Atoll.
- 65% of people in the U.S. don’t know how to swim.
- The average person produces 25,000 quarts of saliva in his or her lifetime — that’s enough spit to fill TWO swimming pools!
- In butterfly stroke and breaststroke, swimmers need to touch the pool with both hands simultaneously when they finish. Swimmers touch the pool with only one hand when they finish in freestyle and backstroke swimming events.
- The most popular freestyle stroke is the crawl, considered the fastest stroke.
- An hour of vigorous swimming will burn up to 650 calories. It burns off more calories than walking or biking.
- Swimming strengthens the heart and lungs.
- Swimming works out all of the body’s major muscles.
- Swimming helps reduce stress.
- Water’s buoyancy make swimming the ideal exercise for physical therapy and rehabilitation or for anyone seeking a low-impact exercise.
- Swimming is a great cardiovascular exercise because you are moving against the water’s resistance, which is over ten times that of the air.
For our latest tips, please subscribe to our blog
or find us on Facebook
The Pool Man Inc., is a Houston Pool Builder serving the Tomball, Cypress, Magnolia and Houston areas since 1981. We are a BBB (Better Business Bureau) accredited member, receiving the BBB Awards for Excellence for 2013 – Winner of Distinction